Sports Report: Week ending 4 February 2017


The U12s Played MGS in the Greater Manchester Cup and performed extremely well against strong competition. Unfortunately, the game ended in defeat but BGSB played an excellent brand of football.


On Wednesday, the U16s lost a narrow encounter versus neighbours St Gabriel’s RCHS. Conceding two early goals BGSB had to fight to get back into the game. They reduced the deficit through Seb Marsi in the second half but despite their dominance and their superior possession, St Gabriel’s kept BGSB out. The final score was 2-1.


On Friday the 1st XI and 2nd XI played at home against Stockport Grammar and on Saturday the U15, U14, U13 and U12 all played away.


After their recent poor run of results, the 1st XI took a well-deserved 1-0 half time lead with Diagho Cullen scoring from the penalty spot. The game remained tight in the second half but another goal for Diagho and one for Seb Marsi gave BGSB a 3-1 win.


Unfortunately, the 2nd XI could not make it two home wins as they suffered a 2-0 defeat.


On Saturday, all teams struggled away on Stockport’s bobbly pitches. The most entertaining game was the U12s who found themselves 5-1 down before getting the score back to 5-5 with a hat-trick of goals for Ben Darlington and two for Ben Brown. Unfortunately, BGSB conceded with 1-minute left to play and the game finished 6-5 to Stockport Grammar.




On Wednesday the 1st XV travelled to St Helens to face Cowley International College. BGSB dominated the first half, but lapses in concentration meant the opposition levelled the scores up just before half time. Despite a good start to the second half, the game started to go downhill when stand-off Henry Schofield had to seek medical attention. Despite all attempts, cramp got the better of him, so he had to go off. Although Joe Danson went over for his second try the game finished agonisingly close, with the opposition just edging it. Despite the loss the team should be commended for their resilience and effort against a strong opposition.


On Saturday, all teams struggled against St Marys who were strong in defence and attack. The U12s played three thirds losing the first and second narrowly but drawing the third. The U13, 14 and 15 teams had many boys who were playing for the first time and although the opponents were strong all games were extremely competitive.


Comments are closed.