Reporting to the Facilities Manager and working under the direction from the Groundsman at Bury Grammar Schools the apprentice groundsman will undertake all grounds related activities to ensure that the school estate is maintained to an excellent standard whilst providing a professional impression to all visitors, parents, pupils and staff. In addition, as a member of the maintenance support staff, the individual will undertake a range of duties concerned with the school premises and ancillary duties to support the operation of the school.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining and developing the grounds, including playing fields, grassed areas, hedge trimming, shrub pruning, weeding, clearing of leaves, etc.
- Erection, inspection and maintenance of all goal posts (Rugby, football and hockey), nets and pitches.
- Measuring out and marking of all sports pitches.
- Setting up pitches for matches and opening and securing supporting facilities where necessary.
- Upkeep and maintenance of artificial/synthetic playing areas.
- Keeping the fields and grounds of school clear from litter.
- Carry out mowing and grass cutting using both ride on and pedestrian machines.
- Maintain all planted borders
- Prepare hanging baskets and one off floral displays
- Assist maintenance with gutter & drain cleaning
- Clean external furniture such as School signs and railings.
- Assist with tree maintenance.
- Clear leaves, snow, ice, moss and detritus as appropriate, including treatment of
surfaces with salt, etc.
- Assist the Groundsman with the upkeep of all trees and major hedges, and clearing
- Leaves and weeds from appropriate areas.
- Assist the Groundsman with the storage and control of consumable materials and equipment.
- Ensure work areas and the maintenance shed is kept clean, tidy and secure at all times.
- Maintain cleanliness and general tidiness of all external hard areas.
All training will be provided and the individual will complete a relevant apprenticeship. The candidate must have an aptitude and interest in grounds maintenance DIY and machinery, be honest and reliable and a self-starter who uses their own initiative. Good organisation ability and the capability to work under pressure are also important qualities. The salary for the role will be £14,664 per annum for a 40 hour working week Monday to Friday.
Please send your completed application to: Freya Dicks, Head of HR, Bury Grammar Schools, Farraday House, Bridge Road, Bury, BL9 0HG or via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 4th August 2017
Interviews will be held on: 16th August 2017
The Bury Grammar Schools are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.